Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

where to start..

So it's 2007 and I will be moving from Amsterdam to Vancouver in two months time to start on my first book. Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..
So far so good. You just make a decision and stick to it. Even if everyone asks you 'why Vancouver' and your answer does not seem to be satisfactory: 'because my intuition told me it would be a good city and writing it in Amsterdam is no option'. Of course there are a million cities and I chose Vancouver. Of all the cities I have visited, it was one of the most pleasant. And it's far away enough to secure the romantic loneliness and melancholy I too associate with writing.
After twenty years of working in Advertising Agencies I figured that I should limit my daily communication to 'an espresso and a turkey sandwich please' and stop my mouth from already phrasing every word my hand would like to slowly trust to paper.
So Vancouver it is. The coming two months will be a cascading agony to get an apartment (know anything..?), rent out my own apartment (know anyone..?) and make sure I won't get arrested when returning at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport for not paying every bill that will be posted to me during my absence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beste Tom,

Ik kon niet komen om afscheid van je te nemen, maar ik wil je heel veel succes wensen met het schrijven van je boek.
Ik zal je vorderingen volgen via je site.
Veel succes en zet hem op.
Groetjes, nicoline