Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2007

happiness is a snowcapped mountain in spring weather


Small surge of happiness today, walking Hamilton Street in fresh spring weather, towards the library and seeing the mountains at the horizon, snowcapped and all.. If I remember tomorrow morning I'll bring along a camera and show you.
Just another day reading and taking notes, this time about the seventies. 'My period'. The years of individualism and paranoia about all the growth (because it included growth in (government and business) corruption, divorce, etc. You can see it in the movies, a lot of the 70s movies were about 'the individual against a corrupt system' (Chinatown, Three Days Of the Condor, The Osterman Weekend, Rambo First Blood) or the first surge of horror in which even your own children might just be the Antichrist (Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, The Exorcist). And of course all the books about how to be 'yourself' (a new concept in those years!): I'm OK you're OK, Looking Out For Number One and My Mother, My Self.. Yep, and all that ending with a nice quote about putting yourself first. Meryl Streep in Kramer vs Kramer is leaving a note for her son, explaining why she has to leave: “I must find something interesting to do for myself in the world. Everybody has to, and so do I. Being a mommy is one thing, but there are other things too.”

Will try and put up a timeline here, so everybody can follow my ramblings on spirit of the times throughout the years.

No comments: