Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Long Live Lunch And Librarians

My prayer to my body had some effect, had my best night since returning. Now on 4,5 hours of sleep, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. So I really felt like having lunch, at the famous Music Centre, with three of the few people I still know from 'the old' PPGH agency, before the takeover by UW. Almost all have moved, and that within half a year. But these three are among my favorites. Listened to their stories. Must say I feel very detached from it all. But detached is my middle name at the moment, as I told them. Don't feel I'm really back in Holland, yet. The only thing I try to focus on in between sneezing and sniffing is the book. Have been at the new library today, was trying to take a few pictures for you but my battery was dead again. Worked for a few hours, slowly. Pictures will show next week, have taken 7 books with me for the weekend, and will stay in tomorrow again.
Have made contact with the media library in Hilversum. I admire the service level librarians give you. I sent a mail and got a long reply immediately, offering some explaining and service. And now, there will be a few books waiting for me when I go there next week. And at the Amsterdam Central Library a great woman even gave me a guided trip around her floor. And they all look very proud to be in this new building.
You can say what you want about Dutch service levels: visit any library and feel embedded in optimism, there is hope for a better future.

No comments: