Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Did I discover the new pop art today?

A few days ago I wrote about art during winter timeframes, reflective periods like we went through in the beginning of the sixties and the second half of the eighties: Pop Art in the sixties (Andy Warhol!) and artists like Jef Koons in the eighties reflect on our daily life, taking 'pulp' items or cultural icons and making art out of them. Thought I'd browse through some art magazines to see if there would be artists working along this line, since we're going through another winter timeframe at the moment. Difficult for me to say, because art interpretation is not my main forte, but I found a few artists that would qualify, on the surface. Will keep up the search, and may come back to this later. I found the work of William Betts, whose work I think I've seen once in Holland already. He makes big paintings that copy images of surveillance camera's like the ones we see more and more on street corners. He developed a very complex method to copy the low resolution pixels of the cameras in paint on canvas. That reminds one of the work of Lichtenstein, a pop artist, who painstakingly copied the dots that make up the cartoon-images in the sixties. It's interesting to see someone copy a new daily item into an artform like Betts does. Only his art is much more disrupting I find than most pop art. For that you only need to look at his titles: 'Last Seen', or 'Followed'.
Another new artists portrayed was Shannon Cannings. She makes huge portraits of child's play materials. Only her last series made an impression on me: toy guns in bright colors, even a painting called 'Pink Grenade', which shows just that. Children use it as a water pistol. But still, there is a distressing element in her paintings. So, is it the new 'winter' art? Don't know. Does it reflect our daily life? Yes, obviously. The discussion continues.

No comments: